Intern Rights

Depending on the business or industry for which you work, your employment rights may fall under federal or provincial/territorial jurisdiction. Click on the applicable jurisdiction below for more information about your rights.

Federal Jurisdiction

If you work for one of the following businesses or industries, then the employment standards that regulate your conditions of work are likely defined by the Canada Labour Code:

  • banks
  • marine shipping, ferry and port services
  • air transportation, including airports, aerodromes and airlines
  • railway and road transportation that involves crossing provincial or international borders
  • canals, pipelines, tunnels and bridges (crossing provincial borders)
  • telephone, telegraph and cable systems
  • radio and television broadcasting
  • grain elevators, feed and seed mills
  • uranium mining and processing
  • businesses dealing with the protection of fisheries as a natural resource
  • many First Nation activities
  • most federal Crown corporations
  • private businesses necessary to the operation of a federal act
Provincial/Territorial Jurisdiction

If you do not work for one of the above industries, then the employment standards that regulate your conditions of work are likely defined by your provincial or territorial ministry of labour.


Disclaimer: Some interns may have greater rights under an employment contract, collective agreement, the common law or other legislation. This information is not legal advice and should not, under any circumstances, be relied upon as legal advice. For assistance with your specific legal issue, please contact the appropriate government department or a legal professional. The Canadian Intern Association does not accept any liability for your use of this information and will not, under any circumstances, be liable to you or any other person for any loss or damage arising from, connected with, or relating to the use of this information by you or any other person.