Canada (Federal Jurisdiction)


If you work for one of the following businesses or industries (subject to certain exceptions), you are most likely a federally regulated employee covered by the Canada Labour Code:

  • banks
  • marine shipping, ferry and port services
  • air transportation, including airports, aerodromes and airlines
  • railway and road transportation that involves crossing provincial or international borders
  • canals, pipelines, tunnels and bridges (crossing provincial borders)
  • telephone, telegraph and cable systems
  • radio and television broadcasting
  • grain elevators, feed and seed mills
  • uranium mining and processing
  • businesses dealing with the protection of fisheries as a natural resource
  • many First Nation activities
  • most federal Crown corporations
  • private businesses necessary to the operation of a federal act

If you do not work for one of the above, the employment standards that regulate your conditions of work are likely defined by your provincial or territorial ministry of labour.

Employment Rights

Coming soon. Please see our “Changing Federal Standards” blog post.

Health and Safety Rights

Interns, paid or unpaid students, have occupational health and safety rights in federally regulated industries and businesses. Section 123(3) of the Canada Labour Code provides that provides that Division II (governing Occupational Health and Safety) also applies to “any person who is not an employee but who performs for an employer to which this Part applies activities whose primary purpose is to enable the person to acquire knowledge or experience.”

Human Rights

Interns and students working for federally regulated employers are entitled to human rights protections, such as freedom from discrimination and harassment in the workplace, under the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Canada Labour Code.